Monday, November 25, 2013

A Milk Paint Project!


We had a beautiful buffet I posted on my page to see if any one wanted it to be customized to their home.  Here is the before picture.

When someone contacted me, I had her pick out the colors she wanted from the miss mustard seed color palette. 




We decided on the typewriter and the French enamel and I got to work creating this beauty.  
I started by sanding it with an electric sander, just enough to make sure the paint didn't flake off to much. I could have left it as is and the paint would have been more chippy like on the drawers.  I wanted a controlled distressing so I sanded the main part. I then rubbed everything down with a tack cloth to get all of the debris off.









I then got together all the supplies I needed to mix the paint: two clear plastic cups, a small whisk, a tablespoon and a cup of water. 
I read and followed the directions on the package after I had watched some of the tutorials on the website. I put three tablespoons of water in the cup and then three tablespoons of paint. I whisked the paint for a minute and then let it sit for ten minutes. After ten minutes I whisked the solution for another minute and it was ready to go.  I painted the doors and drawers the French enamel. I covered the paint in the cup and I waited twenty minutes before whisking the paint again and painting a second coat.







After painting the accent color, I mixed the typewriter milk paint the same way and started painting the main part of the buffet. I painted the shields on the doors to give the buffet a little more depth. I waited thirty minutes between painting a second coat. 











Once the painting was done it was time to make it more interesting. I started by distress sanding it with 100 grit sandpaper. I sanded all the edges and the little details and shapes on the buffet.  I also sanded the shields enough for the blue color to come out from under the black. 


I put two coats of dark wax on the whole buffet and buffed it to a shine. I added the knobs to the doors and drawers and the buffet was done.



If you are interested in a piece like this contact us at davewhit4@gmail.com.  We have another buffet in stock!












No comments:

Post a Comment