Sunday, October 6, 2013

From Couch to Daybed

We found a Duncan Phyfe couch online that needed some work. The couch's structure was in great shape, but the upholstery was beyond ruined. Couches are very expensive to re-upholster even if you do it yourself, so I decided to make it into a daybed.  When we got home we immediately donned masks and gloves and took all the upholstery off.  It was a dirty and painful job.  I forgot to take a before picture, but I found a picture online that is very similar.  THIS IS NOT THE COUCH WE ACQUIRED BUT ONLY A SIMILAR PICTURE.  I try not to ruin perfectly good antiques:)

Dave then went to work taking the frame apart and adding depth to it so a twin mattress could fit on it.  I took out all the nails, which was also dirty and painful.  I don't have many pictures or words for this process because it was long and hard to describe.  Here is the frame without the upholstery.


















Once Dave was completely done with the frame, I started upholstering the bed.  This was also a process too long to explain.  I used batting, fabric, a staple gun, and decorative nail heads.  This is the end product.  Hopefully you can tell from the pictures that the front frame and back legs are in excellent condition and very beautiful.  A twin mattress can be put in without a box spring.








 Contact us at davewhit4@gmail.com, if you are interested in a piece like this

No comments:

Post a Comment