Monday, September 16, 2013

Our First Chalk Paint Project

As My husband and I have gotten more involved in redoing furniture, I have seen the already risen trend of Annie Sloan chalk paint.  I was drawn in mostly by the wonderful colors, but as I read more about chalk paint I realized that the paint was also a time saver.  I consider a time saver as a money saver, so the price of the chalk paint bothered me less. So, at my sisters request and my own intrigue we embarked on our newest furniture expedition.  For those of you who know about Annie Sloan chalk paint, I must tell you that this is as basic as it gets.

1.  Start with an interesting and fixed piece of furniture.  Wipe down the furniture so there is no dust or debris on it.  Do nothing else :)

2.  Take out the drawers and paint the faces of each drawer.  Use a decent paint brush.

3.  Paint the drawer less dresser.  The first coat of paint doesn't look like it covers very well until the paint dries.  The first picture is a closeup of what the first coat of paint looks like.  the picture of the whole dresser is the dresser with two coats.




















4.  After the paint is dry, I used a Q-tip to apply stain into the ornamental pieces and pulls of the dresser.  The picture also shows some of the distressing I did after the stain was dry.


 
5.  I sandpaper distressed the edges and ornamental pieces of the dresser.  I touched up any problem areas with more paint.  I also brushed some paint over the stained pulls to give them more depth and character.

6.  We Polyurethaned the whole thing.  No I didn't wax!!  The polyurethane gave the paint a darker look and it looked great.  

The dresser besides looking great is a well made piece with four easy to pull out drawers.  The top two drawers have built in dividers.  The dresser measures 35" wide, 20" deep and 48" tall in the front.  The lip on the back makes it 49 1/4" tall.   Please contact us with any interest at davewhit4@gmail.com

























No comments:

Post a Comment